Monday, August 27, 2012

Halloween Ornament

Yes, you read that right, HALLOWEEN! I am a HUGE Halloween fan and love all the fun decorations it brings (And candy! Yum!) I always jump right into Halloween crafting the second all the paper company's start releasing their new Halloween collections. So fun!

I created this ornament with a mix of an SVG files, manual dies, and an image that I 'traced' in eCal and cut with my eclips! I had a lot of fun making this and if you're not quite in the fall/Halloween crafting mode just yet, maybe this will help give you a little push!

How fun would it be to decorate a Halloween tree with several of these? You could add in pictures of your children/grandchildren, etc. in their costumes for various years. You could get a plastic black planting pot and some branches, spray paint the branches with glitter black paint and create one awesome centerpiece! If you want to give this a try, I've got some design tips for you!

You will need your die cutter and I also used my Sizzix eclips with eCal, however, I will link to some manual dies that you could use as a replacement for the SVG files (if you don't have an eclips).

For the box I used SVG Cuts' 'Charlotte's Favor Boxes' SVG kit. I cut two box_bottom.svg files. One sized to 11.00" wide and another sized to 10.75" wide. You will be able to fit both pieces on one sheet of 12x12 cardstock. If you do not have an eclips, then you can use the 3D cube pop-up die. Assemble both box bottoms and insert the smaller one into the large one and adhere together (just some small dabs of glue between the boxes work fine.) Ink edges in gray and poke a small hole into the center of the top for the hanging wire to be stuck in.

I used my Sizzix Die Pick to wrap some 20g jewelry wire around. Coil the bottom and then slip a few beads or styrofoam balls onto the wire. I found some glittered balls at the craft store that were perfect for this!

When you're done it should look something like this. Make a loop at the top for hanging and leave about 1" straight piece at the bottom to stick inside the box top where you poked the hole. Use a dab of hot glue to hold in place.

To add some more color and texture I cut two squares to layer on the sides of the box. Add some stitching, ink, and bend in the edges a bit. Embellish however you'd like!

For the bat I found a solid image I liked in Google images and saved it. To open it in eCal click the 'tree photo' icon. This is the 'trace image' feature. This will trace the image and you can save it as an SVG to cut! Just click 'browse' find the image (a nice clean edged image will work best) once it traces it, click save. Save it then open as you would any regular SVG file. Very easy!

Again, if you do not use an eclips or SVG files, you can try one of these bats from Sizzix!

I wanted to make my bat nice and glittery to match the balls on the wire. I always prefer to 'hand glitter' all my elements if I can, I just prefer the look over most glitter papers. I used some paper Mod Podge for adhesive and sprinkled some fine black glitter on.

While the bat is drying, die cut two rosettes with the Sizzlits Tim Holtz rosette die. Ink the edges and layer them on the front of the box. Add the bat and fold up the wings for dimension.

Finish off your ornament with ribbon, gems, washi tape, buttons, etc.!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Sizzix blog today and I hope you've enjoyed this project! Happy Crafting!



InLinkz.com

Patterned Paper: Echo Parks Paper Chillingsworth
Digital Files: SVG Cuts- Charlotte's Favor Boxes 
Tools: Imaginisce irock Tool
Misc: Washi tape; ink; jewelry wire; ribbon; glitter; adhesive
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. This is fabulous and fun, not scary! I love it! What a cool shape as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cool! I am dying to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!! Such a great idea. Now I know what I'm going to use my wooden blocks for. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...