Monday, August 20, 2012

Faux embossed background

Hi everyone!  Don't you just love the look of embossed paper?  It really makes you want to run your fingers over it to feel the texture.  Did you know that you can create your own faux embossed paper by using border diecuts?  Well you certainly can, and I knew when I saw Tim Holtz's Vintage Lace borders, I was going to create such a background.  

It's a very simple process actually and below I've added some step-by-step photos to show you just how I created the card below and in addition to the faux embossing, I'll show you how to use these awesome Stamp & Diecut Framelits by Hero Arts.  I hope you enjoy!

To create this card I used the Vintage Lace die by Tim Holtz Alterations and Bicycle Framelits Stamp and Die Set by Hero Arts.  You will also need a Big Shot, Big Shot Pro or Vagabond Die Cutting machine.

In addition to the dies I also used pattern paper by Crate Paper, (Farmhouse Collection), cardstock, Distress Stain in Scattered Straw, buttons, brads, bakers twine, yellow glittered alphabet letters from American Crafts and 3D adhesive dots.  

For the faux embossed background, die cut several borders from Kraft cardstock using the Vintage Lace die by Tim Holtz and cut a separate piece of kraft cardstock measuring 3 3/4 x 5.

Then give them a nice yellow hue by applying Distress Stain to the borders and also to the background cardstock that you cut in the measurement above.

 Let the pieces dry then arrange the borders on your background cardstock.  Adhere the strips down by applying a tape adhesive around the edges of the cardstock and lay your lace strips down.

For the bicycle and pennants, first stamp your image onto cardstock.

Lay the matching Framelits die over the stamped image and run the die through your die cut machine using the cutting mat sandwich appropriate to your machine.  You may find it helpful to place a Post-it type note over the die to help hold it in place as you run it through your die cutting machine.

Your die will punch out of the framelit and voila!  Now do the same for the pennant.  For a fun variation, try stamping your image onto patterned paper.

As before, add the pennant Framelit over the stamped image and run it through your die cut machine.

Cut four strips of patterned paper to cover up the adhesive on the sides of the card where you adhered the lace strips.  I then tied bakers twine around the center of the card and arranged my remaining pieces on the card front.  Adhere your stamped images with 3D dots, add bakers twine to buttons and adhere to pennants.  To finish adhere glittered letters for your sentiment.

I love adding dimension to my cards even if it just means adding 3D dots to adhere the card front to the card base.  Add the entire card front to a white pre-scored card measuring 4 1/4 x 5 1/2.  You are finished!  Sit back and admire, and your recipient will love what you've created for them.  

Thankyou all so much for stopping by!  I hope this project inspires you to create your own faux backgrounds.  


InLinkz.com

Pattern Paper: Crate Paper -Farmhouse
Stain: Tim Holtz Distress Stain- Scattered Straw
Alphabet Stickers: American Crafts
Misc: buttons; brads; bakers twine
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Thankyou for sharing the step by step tutorial. This is a great idea! I will be using this in the future and I can see so many, many possibilities. The lace die has been on my wish list for a while now. I will be getting my local paper arts store to order it for me.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous!! Going to try this definitely!

    Carmen L

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...