Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Gift for an Art Friend

You have friends who love to create using unique materials. You have miscellaneous bits and pieces of patterned paper scraps, fabric scraps and other embellishments in your art stash. Gather your Sizzix supplies and create these sweet art gifts for all your crafty friends. They will be delighted to receive customized boxes of fun supplies, just waiting for their creative touch.

I selected the Bag, Caddy die die cut from mat board as the basis of my art gift since it is very sturdy material.  I have seen this die used for so many purposes, as a coaster holder, as a sewing kit, a box to hold candy for party favors, the options are limitless.

Besides being so sturdy, I love matboard because it is super easy to paint. I chose Foliage Green from DecoArt to paint by boxes. I also painted the leaf cluster green, one of the smaller pieces of the die cut.A couple of coats is usually sufficient, letting each coat dry before adding the next.

One thing I have learned from painting matboard in the past is that it is easiest to assemble the box,  then paint them. I assembled my boxes using Tacky Line Rolls from Aleene's.

The Caged bird by Tim Holtz is another favorite die of mine. I decided to cut a bid using sheer wood veneer for a rustic natural look.

When the box is assembled, painted and dry, the real fun begins. This is two-fold, embellishing the outside of the box and stuffing it with fun art materials for your crafty friend.

  I love hand dyed ribbon and keep it on hand in various colors so that when inspiration strikes, it is right there waiting on me. For my art gift, I fused wool felt (Enchanted Forest by National Nonwovens) to webbing.

I used the larger flower on the Bag, Caddy die to cut several wool felt flowers to embellish the ribbon.

I did this until I had several flowers, enough to run along the length of the ribbon, spacing them approximately 1" apart. I used a sewing machine and thread to sew the die cut flowers in place on the ribbon.

Wrapped around an embellished tag gives it a special presentation. Imagine all the flower shapes, colors and materials you can use to come up with your own design!

I also included some primitive hearts, die cut from veneer and wrapped with some more pretty hand dyed ribbon.

Journaling pens wrapped with patterned papers and washi tape are a great addition to an art themed gift.

And finally some pretty birds, die cut with a coordinating patterned paper.

If you take a close look, you will find that you have all sorts of supplies that can be corralled into this great Bag, Caddy die cut box and given to your artsy friends. They will be delighted by your creativity and thoughtfulness.

Thanks so much. I really enjoyed sharing my idea with you.

Live Life Creatively,

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. That's so fun! Thanks!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great gifts. You are a wonderful lady and deserve them for all the kindness you show everyone around you!
    christmas gifts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous idea! Love the painted caddy and all the great goodies you placed in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Melony. You are very talented and creative and I love it that you share your ideas with everyone:)
    - DebbieK

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet and thoughtful idea! LOVE it! Thanks for sharing.
    live tv streaming

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...