Friday, August 10, 2012

A Double Layout

Hi Everyone, Jan Hobbins here to show you a double layout using the Sizzix Vintage Camera die and the Sizzix Movers & Shapers Camera die as embellishments.
 I don't know about you, but I find it hard to find embellishments for male layouts and cards.  There's lots of pretty stuff out there, but I have to get creative when it comes to my guys!  It's amazing how different each piece looks, just by choosing different mediums.  My favorite is using metal foil tape, as I have shown in past projects.  This double page layout all started with the large camera die, which after I altered it, thought it would make a perfect embellishment for this layout.  So I'm going to show you how this camera went from plain chipboard to  this "metal" embellishment and how I altered the three small cameras.

First, I die cut out a square of chipboard large enough for the die and then with a piece of Ranger's Metal Foil Tape Sheet, I covered the square.  Using the Bigz Vintage Camera die, run this through your die cut machine.  Cut out another camera with the same die, using plain chipboard.  This will be used for the small parts, so set aside. 

Place your foil die cut camera in the Sizzix Riveted Metal embossing folder and run through your machine.  Carefully remove the small parts from this piece and set aside.


I used wide strips of adhesive tape (Sookwang) and adhered these to the back of my foil camera diecut, leaving the backing on.  As you can see in this photo, the sticky side is up.  You can now stick your plain chipboard parts in the places you want the pieces to be raised.

The foil pieces are to be glued on top of these so they will be raised.  I did not use an extra chipboard piece in the middle round camera lens and the center of the small circles, as I wanted these parts to be at a lower level.  

After you adhere your remaining foil pieces, lightly sand different areas to scratch your foil up a bit.  You are ready to paint your camera with black paint.  After you have the whole camera covered, immediately wipe off the paint, exposing all the high and open parts.  Your black paint stays in all the edges and corners.  After this dried, I used another color (green) of paint and  repeated the previous step, but only in a few areas.  When the paint was dry, I then sprayed it with Lindy's Moon Shadow Mist, or a spray of your choice, and dried it again.  I have a hard time stopping, it's so interesting to see what results you get when combining different mediums! 

To finish it off, I adhered a Tim Holtz gear in the center of the lens.


The three small cameras were made with the Sizzix Movers and Shapers Camera.  One was made using the same techniques as with the large camera.  The second camera was made with a printed acrylic sheet and scrap acrylic I saved from my embossing folder packages.  I cut out three pieces of the printed acetate, two pieces of the plain acrylic, stacked them (Printed on top and alternated) and stapled them together.  I then squirted a few drops of Caramel and Willow alcohol ink in between the layers and let dry.  The third camera was cut out from chipboard and layered with three camera pieces cut from Tim Holtz Kraft Glassine paper.  I inked the chipboard, stapled the papers on top, and then used a spray mist on top.  When the papers were wet, I bent them and curled the edges.

On my layout, I used quite a few Sizzix dies.  Before I start working on my project, I go through my dies and pull out the ones I think might work with what I'm doing.  I find that when they are in front of me, I tend to use them more.  

On the left layout, I used the Sizzix On the Edge Steampunk die, the Sizzix Fancy Labels Framelit die embossed with the Tim Holtz Matrix & Gridlock Texture Fade, the Movers and Shapers Mini Gears Die and the Sizzix Tattered Banners Sizzlit .  For the title, I used the Tim Holtz Moments Movers & Shapers die, which I die cut twice and adhered the white paper a touch off behind my green printed paper to give it a shadow.

For the right layout, I used Sizzix's On the Edge File Tab die ( on the top of my journaling card), the On the Edge Steampunk die, the On the Edge Bracket Die, the Tattered Banners Sizzlit Die, the Movers and Shapers Mini Gears Die and the Decorative Ticket Strip Sizzlit die that was embossed with the Tim Holtz Collage Texture Fade.  When I die cut the tickets, I used paper as wide as my machine would allow, and cut the tickets on the edge of the paper.  I used the remaining pieces for the green and orange mats behind my two center photos (the papers with the little bumps).  I used Ranger Distress stains and inks on my paper edges.

Add in some Tim Holtz metals gears and embellishments, Acrylic Film Ribbon, and rub-ons to complete your layouts. I just noticed as I am looking at this photo of my layout, I forgot to add in my journaling!  I better do that right away!  I should also mention that I altered my photos with textures from Distressed Jewel to give them a grunge look.

I hope I have inspired you to look at your dies differently, creating your own embellishments!

Until next time,
Jan

InLinkz.com

Patterned Paper: Kaiser Craft Attitude Collection
Surfaces: Ranger Ink Metal Foil Tape Sheets; chipboard
Inks: Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Ink- assorted colors: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- assorted colors
Paint: green and black craft paint
Tools: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tiny Attacher
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. This is incredible, Jan! Your embossed foil camera is too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool layout! Thank you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool Jan! Love all the different cameras and the combination of all the dies and embossing folders that you used. Thank you for sharing a double pager!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing 2-pager, Jan! Your posts are always educational and inspirational! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowie Jan! This lo is fantastic. The layering and distressing on the camera is brilliant. Thank You for sharing the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's GREAT!!!!!! Great all the details, the style, the color, the photos, ALL, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an awesome lay out and i love all the different camera's. Thank you so much for your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! The cameras are just wonderful with all that grungy texture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for the awesome tut and layout out of this world. i love all the details you embraced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome!
    Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just returned from the craft store with my new camera die! I could not pass this one up! What a fabulous layout!! Thank you for sharing your talent with this tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...