Friday, July 27, 2012

Imagine Art Journal Pages

Hello Ronda here.  I am so excited to share with you today how to use die-cuts, Textured Impressions, and Texture Fades in your art journals.  I love that I can mix in different techniques using these pieces to create something I totally love.

To start this particular page, I added gesso to my watercolor art journal page. I like to use paper tape or  washi tape on the seams to give them added strength.  I also use this time to add in bits & pieces tissue paper or patterned paper on the background.

Once i have a nice thick coat of gesso, I use a Textured Impression to push into the gesso to give the page some texture.  Here I am using a beautiful one called Blossom, Circle, Leaves, & Diamonds Set.

You can use either the raised impression or the recessed impression to create the texture.  Or even use both sides of the impression template.  Make sure you wash off the gesso immediately from the Textured Impression.

Once I painted the background, I wanted to add in some pops of color.  I used the Pocket Watch Texture Fade with some Fig Magenta Spray ink to add in those pops of color.  You can spray the fades and stamp down on the page to transfer the images.  You can even add a few spritzes of water to reactivate the spray ink and stamp again.

I used a the Dot Matrix & Gridlock Texture fade on some manilla cardstock pieces and then die cut them using the Tattered Florals die.  I absolutely love the combination of these two pieces.

After painting the background, I like to lay out out my shapes to see where I am placing them and to see what color i want to paint them.  I used the Sizzlits Flower Branches and Leaves set to cut some leaves out of newsprint patterned paper.  After seeing it next to the flowers, I knew I needed some color on the tattered florals.

Blue is a nice complement to the yellow-orange background so i painted the tattered flowers in an light aqua color.  It also happens to be my favorite color too! You can add a little or a lot of paint.

After seeing everything in place, i wanted to use some touches of dark brown/black to ground everything together.  I added a few sprinkles of Espresso mists on the background.  I used the Sheet Music texture fade and some archival black ink to stamp on the background of my page.

I am so happy with the completed pages.  I think the die-cuts and texture fades & impressions added the perfect touches to my art journal page.  Break out those pieces you have and use them on your next art journal piece.



Surfaces: Watercolor Journal Page; Manila Cardstock; patterned or tissue paper
Mists: Maya Road Maya Mist- Fig Magenta, Sunflower Yellow, Espresso Brown
Paint: Claudine Hellmuth Studio Paints
Ink: Ranger Ink Jet Black Archival Ink
Gesso: Claudine Hellmuth Studio Gesso
Pin It!

26 comments:

  1. This is GREAT Ronda! I love the using of the texture fades as stamps... brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Love the idea of 'stamping' with the embossing folders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the unique way you use these tools!! Very inspired by this post - your work is so incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely gorgeous- love using the texture fades this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! This is awesome! Love these pages of art journaling and thanks for the instructions.
    This gives a page a great look and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...what a bunch of GREAT ideas!!! All of a sudden I have a lot more tools to explore in my new art journaling exploration. Thanks for all the stepout photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO fantastic! Thank you for this inspiration!
    You used acrylic paints???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I would love to make one of these....seems labor intensive, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW I love having another way to use my embossing folders oh my I must have 200 or more of them thanks so much for awesome ideas I love this!!! Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful! I have one question. Were these two pages done after this journal was all together, and you were working on those 2 pages in the journal itself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was working in the journal as the pages are already bound in the plain watercolor journal. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. I was pretty certain that the journal was already bound, but had to be sure. I'm not the tidiest person when I do my journals! LOL! My daughter lives in Florence, Oregon and I live in Queen Creek, AZ. We do journals together, called "The Traveling Journal". We send the journal through the USPS, until we have completed all the pages. Something we started a few years ago. Each journal has a different theme.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for such wonderful and unique ideas. I love when I can use something in a new way. Your pages are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to drag out my texture fades and some gesso and get BUSY!!! The aqua colored flowers really do pop! Always amazed!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow thanks for the great photos and explanation of how to do these wonderful techniques. Sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, now I didn't think to use my texture fades as a stamp or to create an impression. Wonderful idea I will definitely store it in my memory banks for use in the future.

    I love it!

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love all the tips. Great pages. What brand watercolor journal did you use?
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thankyou for sharing these awesome techniques. I was thinking yesterday about how to use texture fades and embossing folders in an already bound journal. Now I have some great ideas to play with. Aqua is absolutely one of my 3 favourite colours, magenta is also a favourite, and purple is number one. Adding die cuts to my journal pages make them pop and adds dimension. I also use my leftovers pieces from diecutting on my pages too.
    Your artwork and creativity is beautiful, and inspiring.
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...really stunning art journal page. (the quote is excellent!) Your color combo is striking, and I love your step by step instructions. Thank you so much for showing me a new way to use my texture fades and gesso. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm mmm mmm - those textured florals are sooo exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love these techniques - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...