Friday, July 13, 2012

Happy Happy Birthday To You card featuring Pop `n Cuts

Hi everyone! Gretchen here bringing you another tutorial featuring Karen Burniston’s Pop `n Cut system. I paired the dies with some fun, new papers I recently purchased and it came together in a snap! Today I’ll be showing you how to make this cute Happy Happy Birthday To You card that has a floating star and a scallop border around the Pop `n Cut.
 
When I make a pop-up, I normally have some type of a plan before I get started. I create the front and then the inside. For this card however, I started on the inside and jumped around a bit because I really wanted to utilize all my paper and use some different techniques.

I started by die cutting my pieces of paper for the inside of the card using my Pop `n Cut base tray, the Circle Label that comes with the tray, and the star from the Star & Circle Mover’s & Shapers set. I added my Circle Label to the tray, made sure my tick marks were lined up, and added my star onto the metal portion of the tray.

I wanted to create a front piece for my Label Circle in a contrasting color and to insure that the pieces matched perfectly since I was using the star Movers & Shapers die, I needed to die cut two pieces of paper at the same time. I laid a small blue piece of cardstock good side down on top of the Circle Label.

On top of that blue piece, I laid my patterned paper good side down and then sandwiched it with my Extended Cutting Pads and ran it through my Big Shot machine. Once die cut, I’ll have my Circle Label Pop `n Cut pieces, a partial blue Circle Label that I’ll trim down, and four star pieces (two solid and two outlines).

Karen gave me a great idea on how to add a border to the Pop `n Cut insert that I wanted to try so I set my smaller pieces aside and grabbed the largest Scallop Square Framelit that comes in the set.

I folded my Pop `n Cut according to the package instructions and then laid the Framelit on top of the folded pieces making sure to leave a little off the back edge so I wouldn’t cut the folded portion.

Once I got the placement I wanted, I secured the Framelit to my paper using Post It notes. I used my Solo Platform plus my Solo Thin Die Adapter, made my sandwich, and ran it through my Big Shot machine.

The Scallop Square gives a perfect border to the Pop `n Cut!

A few things to note: this technique works better on patterned paper than cardstock. With cardstock, because it’s thicker, it was leaving a bit of an embossed impression so do a test piece before you cut into good paper. There are may different Framelits you could try over all the different Pop `n Cuts. Just make sure than when you lay the Framelit over the Pop `n Cut, that you leave the folds on the left and right sides that hold the pieces together.

Next I took the blue Circle Label and cut it apart from the excess paper I didn’t need since I was just wanting the label portion. I snipped the piece at the bottom of the curve in the center and at the two connecting portions of the label cutting the pieces away.

To create the floating star, I used a sheet protector. I cut a piece out of the sheet protector that would cover my Circle Label and ran it through my machine again using the Pop `n Cut tray with Circle Label without the star in place. I snipped the pieces away just like I did for the blue piece of paper and I was ready to assemble.

I added adhesive to the main label area of my Pop `n Cut, layered the sheet protector piece I cut on top of that, and then added more adhesive onto that piece avoiding the star area. I secured the blue piece of paper on top of that and then added one of the stars I cut earlier onto the sheet protector. The sheet protector gives the illusion that the star is floating.

For the front of the card, I used the Pop `n Cut tray to create my card base out of kraft cardstock. I utilized my leftover paper that I had from cutting the Pop `n Cut portion on the inside since it left two nice pieces with rounded corners. I just trimmed off the negative scallop portion before I glued it down.

I also created a border strip out of coordinating patterned paper using the Mini Scallop & Pinking On The Edge Die. I used the blue outlined star I had previously cut and cut another star using green cardstock adding a pop dot underneath. For my sentiment, I cut the journaling block out of a piece of patterned paper and then inked all the edges of the card.

Moving back to the inside, I added adhesive to the back part of my Pop `n Cut insert and then added it to my card base, lining it up at the fold and in the center. After it was secure I added more adhesive to the top part, closed the card and pressed to get the perfect placement.

For the inside of the card, I used the final piece of leftover paper from cutting the insert and trimmed the negative scallop away. I stamped a sentiment onto straw colored cardstock and added it to the bottom. I also created a circle using the Circle Framelits, cut it almost in half, and tucked it underneath the top portion of my Pop `n Cut insert. I finished off the inside by adding the solid blue star and the green outline star, both of which I had cut previously, and inked the edges all the way around the card.

I love the look of the floating star, it is such a cool technique and the Scallop Frame around the Pop `n Cut really adds an awesome element. I encourage you to try this fun technique!



Patterned Papers: Simple Stories- Make a Wish, Celebrate, and Flash Cards
Cardstock: Bazzill Kraft, Straw, Simon; Unknown brand: green
Stamps: Hero Arts- Essential Messages
Ink: Hero Arts- Shadow Ink Soft Brown; Colorbox- Licorice
Misc.: sheet protector, pop dot, Post It Notes.
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I adore this card! And since my birthday is just days away . . . hint . . . hint . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to write it down. What day? Cool card.

      Delete
  2. Margene BoudreauxJuly 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM

    Gretchen, I really love Karen's new dies and love the look you added to the card. I will definitely be scraplifting your idea with some other papers I have in mind. Have a great time at CHA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Gretchen! I love the floating star and the colors are really fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretchen what a great tutorial and card too! See you in a couple of days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello all, anyone know when the Pop N Cuts will be available in So. CA??? I heard May and now no news.. I'm anxiously waiting.... vidabuena2001@yahoo.com please someone give me info

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...