Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Halloween Surprise!

I know it might seem early, but by late July, I am sick of summer and ready to start fall crafting! Add to that the fantastic Halloween and Christmas products that were released at CHA last week and you can see why I was so excited to create this project.

This little Halloween piece was featured in the Sizzix booth. It all began as a lowly paper mache box from my local craft store. It makes an adorable decoration when closed, but reveals a fun surprise when opened. I hope you enjoy it!

Begin by covering the outside of a paper mache box with patterned paper (I used this fantastic vintage Halloween paper from Tim Holtz). Cover the inside too (not shown).

Die cut a length of black Sizzix Cut and Emboss Kraft Core paper using the Harlequin Strip Die. Sand lightly and adhere to the outside of the box.

Die cut a spider from Grungeboard using the new Mini Spider die. Paint it and a wooden candlestick black. When dry, sand lightly and ink with Distress ink.

Die cut seven circles from Halloween paper using the Sizzix Framelits Circles die and ink the edges with brown ink. Die cut four strips of Sizzix Cut and Emboss Kraft Core using the Mini Paper Rosettes Strip die and sand lightly. Die cut the center portion of the Rosette out of Halloween paper. Finally, die cut the letters BOO from Idea-ology Mirror using the Word Play die. Apply Adirondack Slate alcohol ink to give the letters an aged look.

Create the banners by assembling the parts as shown. Glue securely.

Color a length of Idea-ology Trimmings ribbon with Spiced Marmalade Distress ink. Sandwich the ribbon between the decorated circle and the plain circle. Adhere with Scotch Tape Glider. Cut a slit in the center of two of the Rosette centers that were cut from black Kraft Core. Insert the ribbon and adhere to the back. Do this for the top and bottom. That will be how we attach the banner to the inside of the box.

Now we're going to work on the top! Cover the box lid with Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint. When dry, ink with Brushed Corduroy Distress Stain. Trim edge with Idea-ology Tinsel Twine, using Beacon 3-in1 glue to adhere.

To create the little Halloween tree, dye an Idea-ology Woodlands tree with Spiced Marmalade Distress ink. Cut several bats from black Kraft Core using the Mini Bat die. Sand the edges lightly and adhere to tree using Beacon 3-in-1 glue.

To assemble the box, adhere the last of the Halloween paper circles to the center of the box lid. Add a black rosette and attach the decorated tree to the center. Cut a banner from kraft cardstock using the Tattered Banners Strip Die. Stamp sentiment using black ink and add to rosette as shown. Attach the spider to the painted candlestick and adhere candlestick to bottom of box using Beacon glue.

To attach the banner to the box, apply Beacon 3-in-1 glue to the Paper Rosette center and adhere to center of box. Repeat with the top of the ribbon, this time adhering it to the center of the lid. When the box is closed, the rosette circles will fall into place, accordion-style.

Here is the box opened. How fun is that?! This is a versatile project that could be adapted to any holiday. It would also make an adorable birthday gift - just change out the colors and dies to fit the theme.

If you're a scrapbooker, you could even turn this into a cute little mini book. That's what I love about Sizzix dies - your ability to create is truly unlimited!

See you next month!

Shelly

InLinkz.com

Patterned Paper: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Kraft Resist Seasonal Stash
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Grungeboard, Mirrored Sheets
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Lavish Trimmings Ribbon, Woodlands Tree, Tinsel Twine
Paint: Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint- Rock Candy; Ranger Ink Adirondack Paint Dabber- Pitch Black
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Gathered Twigs, Spiced Marmalade
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous- CMS140 Mini Halloween 3
Adhesives: Beacon 3 in 1 Craft Glue, Scotch Adhesive Tape Glider
Misc: paper mâché box, wood candlestick
Pin It!

35 comments:

  1. Wow! Very clever. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is ingenius! I have all the stuff (except the tree and candleholder) to make this. I think I'll use some of the ideas here. By the way, anything to get my mind off the Summer heat is fine with me! Thanks for the detailed instructions and idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun! You are right this can be adapted for all kinds of holidays. Thank You for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Do please give me a heads up when your projects are on the Sizzix blog so that I might be the first comment, saying something like "Marmalade Squirrel!" or whatever. Heh. You got mad skillz, SH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly, you could always come over to England for the summer - we don't normally get one, have had 3 nice days this week though....lol. Love this treasure box, with the surprise in side, fabulous idea for Halloween. Thanks for the inspiration! A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your box! I spotted it in Tim's photos of the booth...wonderful! On the top of the box, did you leave the original kraft color then topped with Rock Candy and Brushed Corduroy, or is there another color underneath? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! Yes, I just left the kraft color and then went over it with the Rock Candy. It kind of soaks up the stain differently in spots, adding to the vintage-y look of it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Gonna give it a try. ;-)

      Delete
  7. In my world it is never too early for Halloween-this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I love this! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelly, your Halloween box is fantabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is super cute. i'm going to try this. what size round box did you use?

    cen30611@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat, the lid measurement is 4", the inside is 3 3/4", and the circles are 3 3/8". Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. ...an amazing piece Shelly, the colours for Halloween is so yummy, loVe what you have designed for the up and coming season...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that I got to see this at the show. It is such a fun piece. I think I may have to try to make one...with a lot of substitutions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this!! Halloween is my favorite holiday and you've given me an idea for my next Halloween project! Absolutely fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This piece is brilliant! Shelly is as sweet as she is talented. A real treasure in and of herself!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shelly, you are brilliant!! I LOVE this piece. You have inspired me to create something like this for my table. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really really love this project! You are right in saying that it can be adapted to so many themes. coolness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love it! Thank you for sharing. Please keep the projects coming.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome! So many fabulous details. Thank you for sharing.

    I just got a BIGkick, yesterday for my birthday. I am super excited. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! I'd also love more information about how to dye the Woodland trees. I saw photos of all the beautifully-colored trees in the CHA booth and I'd love to know how to make my own with the Distress Inks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super easy, Heidi! I just added a dropper of Spiced Marmalade Distress reinker to a Mini Mister bottle and filled it 3/4 of the way with water. Spritz the tree until you get the intensity you want and then let it dry. You could any type of spray ink - I love making my own tho!

      Delete
  20. I do so look forward to your email updates landing in my in-box here at work :-) You brighten my day with your brilliant ideas and excellent construction tutorials. Whilst Halloween isn't a big deal here in Australia, I do so love it for all it's wonderful crafting opportunities. This is certainly something I'll be making!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable. Love the orange tree!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have done it again, Shelly! Fantastic surprise inside!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Simply amazing! I really don't know what else to say. As usual, you have rendered me speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  25. FABULOUS!!! I don't do a lot of Halloween stuff, but I think this is something I'd love to try...my little nieces would thoroughly enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...