Monday, July 2, 2012

Chicago Boat Tour Layout

Hello Sizzix fans! I hope that you are all enjoying your summer thus far! This season brings back some fond memories of years gone by. One things I have been able to look forward to for the past several summers is visiting Chicago for CHA. This year will be no different! I am very excited to be attending the show again in a couple of short weeks and seeing all of the new releases by my favourite manufacturers, especially Sizzix!

For my project today, I thought I would challenge myself to create a simple layout so that I could still document some of my favourite photos from the architectural boat tour I did last summer while in Chicago but not have to spend hours indoors and miss out on any of the precious warm weather we get here in the great white north! Mission accomplished! This 12" X 12" layout was created with overall ease and in record time for me! Read on for tips on how you can create something similar.

Instagram is one of the hottest iPhone apps available I am sure! I love the effects I can apply to my photos and I fell in love with the ones pictured in this layout. I wanted them to take center stage so by keeping the layout simple, the photos remained the focus. Embellishing was kept to a minimum but with various techniques using the Sizzix dies and embossing folders, enough visual interest was added.

To start, I die cut a 5"X6" piece of Grunge Board with my Vagabond machine using the Gadget Gears Die. I applied a generous coat of Pewter Crackle Distress Paint and set it aside to dry for about an hour or so (it needs to be dry before the cracks will appear).

Next, I die cut 2 pieces of Grunge Board with the Vagabond Machine using the newly released Stencil Texture Fade (I found this at my lss yesterday and fell IN LOVE). I had to emboss 2 because Chicago has 2 of the letter "C". I cut the individual letters apart and covered the surface with my black Paint Dauber and allowed them to dry. Once dry, I gently sanded the surface and edges so that the embossed letters were visible.

I die cut a couple pieces of Natural Canvas by Canvas Corp using the Styled Labels and Tiny Tabs & Tags dies. To distress the fabric, I simply added a bit of Distress Inks using my Foam Blending Tool.

I then embossed a plain 4"X4" coaster with the Collage Texture Fade. I covered it with with a variety of Distress Stains, layering and blending the colours until I was happy with the background effect. I then used my Foam Blending Tool to highlight the raised embossing with a variety of Distress Inks.

Once all pieces were dry, it was time to assemble! I punched a smaller photo with a circle punch and then a larger circle with a patterned paper from Tim Holtz's "Crowded Attic" Paper Stash. I used Fabri Tak to glue this onto the medium sized Gadget Gear once the paint was completely dry. This was popped up onto the Styled Label piece of canvas. I stapled the "Boat Tour" DYMO labels with my Tiny Attacher and then popped up the entire piece near the top of the embossed coaster. Using the Tiny Attacher again, I stapled the embossed letters across the bottom of the coaster. The coaster was then popped up into the empty quadrant on the layout.

After stapling the date onto the circle tag piece of canvas and poking a brad through the top hole, I adhered that to the layout and I was finished! I was that easy!

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial and I hope that even though summer is here you will still find some time to scrapbook! If I can keep it simple, surely you can too!

Happy Scrapping!
Trisha
www.artsyadventure.blogspot.com

InLinkz.com

Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Paper Stash- Crowded Attic, Grungeboard; Canvas Corp.- Natural Canvas Sheet
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Inks- assorted colors
Stains: Tim Holtz Distress Stain- assorted colors
Paint- Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint- Pewter; Ranger Ink Adirondack Paint Dabbers- Pitch Black
Tools: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Tiny Attacher; Ranger Ink Blending Tool; Fiskars- Circle Punches; Dymo Labeler
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Such a cool layout! I especially love the gear with the circle shapes over it-

    I knew I should've bought the collage texture fade... I love how it looks here.

    -Kory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you did those letters! I just got that texture fade and can't wait to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a perfect layout for the city. so industrial with the pewter colors and crackle paint. awesome. it all goes together so well. love the letter too. i think they are my fav.
    tfs!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...