Thursday, July 26, 2012

A happy accident...


Hi everyone! I hope that you have been enjoying your summer thus far! It's hard to believe that it is half over... I have been trying to enjoy every moment as I know that in only a few short weeks, leaves will begin to turn and dreaded snow is sure to follow (being from Canada... that is a harsh reality!).

My family and I went on vacation to go visit my Dad and step mom on Vancouver Island for a few days and I was blown away at the beautiful view from their deck of the sunset each evening. It is a sight I will never grow bored of. I managed to get some fantastic shots that I wanted to scrapbook and this is one of them! I started with the Authentique Paper "FRESH" Collection Kit of stunning papers and embellishments to create the foundation of my layout. But I couldn't stop there! I am all about incorporating texture and dimension into my designs so out came my Vagabond and a couple of fabulous Sizzix Dies!


I started with the Sizzix "Hanging Sign" die and heavy weight Bazzill Chipboard. I painted the "hanger" with Ranger Snow Cap Paint Dauber. Once dry, I added a touch of "Weathered Wood" Distress Ink with my Foam Blending Tool.

It was then time to paint the sign. I pulled out my "Pool" Paint Dauber, opened it up and took a phone call. OOOOOOPS- big mistake! I had left the cap off and got totally distracted for awhile. My paint was practically dry in the bottle by the time I came back! I was NOT impressed with myself as it was the only one I had. I had to at least try to make it work. I stuck a popsicle stick in to scoop out the virtually dry paint and attached it to my sign die cut.


Well... it worked out okay as the dry paint actually cracked as I was trying to apply it. I was happy that it had a weathered look! I added a touch of Picket Fence Distress Stain over top to tame down the blue paint and VOILA! A very realistic looking sign. Cool, eh? Sometimes those mistakes can become "happy accidents" and this was definitely one of those times! I attached the two pieces together with chain and jump rings before attaching it to my layout with foam squares.


Now I want to share with you another quick trick to add texture and dimension to your projects Using the Sizzix Bigz XL Die- Card, Scallop die. I love to create ruffles on just about everything nowadays it seems! In this case, I actually used a shopping bag (yes, a plastic shopping bag!). I liked the frosted look of it and thought it would look pretty cool on this project.


I started by cutting the bag in one long 5" strip. I folded the bag in half and placed the crease one scallop in from the edge of the die.


Typically, if you were to die cut this card you would have scallops on all four sides.


By only doing the 3 sides, it allowed me to almost double the length of the plastic die cut strip.


Next, I folded the strip nearly in half, lengthwise. I wanted it to overlap slightly.


 I then placed a strip of super strong adhesive to the back of the paper I was creating a ruffle on. I thin "puckered" and "gathered" the scalloped strip while pressing it into the adhesive to secure it in position.


When I flipped the piece over, I now had a great ruffled trim hanging down. I LOVE this technique and use it often! I have created ruffles from tissue paper, crepe paper, fabric, paper bags, the list is endless!

Sometimes looking at your Sizzix Dies with a different set of eyes, you can come up with a completely different use for the shapes you cut that what they were initially intended for. I just love those "happy accidents", don't you?!

So there you have it! A couple of fun techniques to add some fabulous flair to your paper crafting projects! I hope you managed to take a bit of time to enjoy the summer and preserve those memories in your albums and try something new while you are at it.

Have a great summer (what is left of it) and Happy Scrapping!

Trisha

Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous and that ruffle idea is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ruffled trim tip is a real keeper! I will have to try it with ribbon and fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this-that die is going on the have to have list.Of course I see some delightfully spooky things coming from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tip on creating ruffles! I have that die and don't use it very often, but now I will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a happy mistake that is! good thing you came back when you did, or the whole bottle may have dried up. i thought you had 'crackled' it but forgot to mention crackle until i read on. great layout and thanks for the ruffle tip. i have that die, and i'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo...love the texture your boo-boo created! And using a frosted plastic bag for ruffles? Inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Très beau, merci ça me donne de bonnes idées pour agrémenter mes pages.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...