Monday, June 25, 2012

Picture This

Hello Everyone.  Ronda here with you today to share a layout step by step using some awesome sizzix dies not only as accents to my page but to create wonderful masks you can use over & over again. 

I used the Washer Border Decorative strip to die cut the Mask Sheets to create my mask.  I placed the die cut on the edge of the sheet when cutting so i could use the leftover piece for another die. 

Punch out all the little pieces from the mask.  If you are like me, save them to use in mixed media piece. 

Next I die cut two cameras, one out of black core'dination cardstock, one out of metal foil sheets.  These dies are so easy to layer to create a cool new look. 

First sand the black cardstock to reveal some of the kraft color on the raised areas.  I trim some of the metal foil pieces to lay over the black cardstock. Remove the back sheet to reveal the sticky side and adhere it on the same place on the black die-cut. Some of the pieces were tiny so i used tweezers to place them down. 

I knew the story I wanted to document was about my son Anthony and his love for photography.  I love reinforcing my story with embellishments so these filmstrip frames were a must.  I placed them on the layout to get a rough idea of my overall placement before i started misting and inking.  Think of it as a trial run.

Now i was ready to use my mask, over and over again.  I placed it on the center of the page and sprayed a rusty orange mist.  I love the over spray but if you want it "cleaner." just place some excess cardstock at the top & bottom of the mask.

Now it's time to add some depth.  I wiped the mask off and gathered up some inks.  Here i am using a combo of orange and browns.  Orange is complementary to the blue cardstock and the blue in the photo of my son so they would work really well together. It's why my photo really pops.  Using a blending tool add in the ink through the mask.  I repeated this process three times.  You can still see the original spray piece and the others inked pieces i added.

I love the gears die and again they reinforce my story; gears in a camera, the spinning gears of his mind. I loved what Shelly did on her blog post a couple weeks ago.  I used the same technique for some of my gears.  I also wanted to add in a few different gears so i grabbed some metallic paint and perfect pearls.  After dabbing the cardstock with the metallic paint and letting it dry, I added perfect medium in a random pattern.  I then dusted the piece with blue patina perfect pearls.  Spritz it with water to set the pearl color.  I then cut out multiple gears to use on my page.

Here's a look again at the full layout.  I love the teen boy feel to the layout.  The colors are just perfect as are the die-cuts.  They really document this story.

I added some yellow patterned paper to the filmstrip frames to give the page an extra pop of color.  I tucked in the gears into the patterned paper.  I love how some of them are a bit grungy and some have that pop of blue.

That background just sings for me.  I love how the colors coordinate with those pops of orange and yellow.  On this side some of the gears are tucked into the filmstrip frames as well as on top. 

I hope you enjoyed this step by step tutorial and will try making your own masks using your sizzix's dies.  It is so much fun and i know i will be making lots more.


InLinkz.com

Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Mask Sheets; Ranger Ink Metal Foil Tape Sheets
Ink: Ranger Ink Perfect Medium; Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, and Wild Honey
Mists: Ranger Ink Perfect Pearls- Blue Patina; Maya Road Maya Mist- Orange Spice
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Mini Gears
Tools: Ranger Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool; Ranger Inkssentials Craft sheet; Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sanding Grip
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Really inspiring...well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! Love all the textures and the great design. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout! Thank you for the tutorial.

    Marrigje

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. Love the use of the washer die as a mask. This die is on my wish list. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful layout and design!!! Thanks so much for the tutorial...now where are my dies to cut a mask and get started.....oh yes.....I'm ready!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your layout!! I really love this die. It is the first die I made into a mask and I am hooked!! Love when things can be used more than one way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea and will totally try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not get the washer die to "cut" the Tim Holtz mask material. I ran it through twice and it's really only deeply embossed! What's your secret?
    Very frustrated in Cornwall

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...