Sunday, June 24, 2012

Patriotic Star Giftbag

Hello, Sizzix friends! It's Tamara from the design team and today I have a cute little star shaped bag to share with you all! This is super easy and fun to create! I mixed in some Sizzix dies along with SVG Cuts files on my Sizzix eclips.

This would be great for party favors, a surprise for the kiddos, a thank you gift for a host, etc. I hope you like it!

I thought the 'wand' was a fun little touch. I love the look of the coiled wire on it.


What do you think? Pretty fun, right?! Now I will give you some tips on making one for yourself! Let's boot up the eCAL software and eclips and get busy! (You'll also need a Big Shot or Vagabond to cut the framelits)

First, you will cut the bag from SVG Cuts 'Christmas Gift Bags & Boxes SVG Kit' Yes, we're using a CHRISTMAS kit! That's what's so fun about SVG files. You don't need to stick to the original theme of the kit, make it your own! Open the 'Joy Star Bag' file in your eCAL software. Size the bag.svg file to 11.30"w. Cut in a brown patterned paper. The above photo shows how the bag will go together. Very easy to do!

For the front; I layered two stars on my bag. The first one is the star.svg file (also found in the Joy bag folder) sized to 11.30"w. Cut this in a blue patterned paper. Then resize that same star to 9.982"w and cut that one out in a red patterned paper. I did some distressing (by hand and with some sand paper) to the red star and then added some ink and stitching. Adhere to the blue star, then adhere to the front of your bag.

Your bag should be assembled. Now I will show you how I made that cute folded rosette on the front! Such a nice touch to any project!

You will need your die cut machine and the Sizzix Scalloped Circle Framelits. I used the 3" die for my bag. Die cut 5 scalloped circles in a polka dot patterned paper.

One of the scalloped circles will be your 'base' that you adhered the others to. You will fold the remaining four scalloped circles like shown. In half, then in half again.

Once you have the four scalloped circles folded; you will then adhere them around the base like so. Once they are adhered, you can stitch around them 2-3 times with some dark brown thread. Next, create another rosette using the same method, but with the 2 1/8" die. Layer the rosettes on top of each other, add a button, twine, etc. Adhere to the center of the star bag and you're done!

The rosette 'wand' was very simple. I trimmed two strips of paper to 9"w and 1.5"h. Scor every 1/4" and accordion fold. Adhere loose edges, flatten the rosette onto a small 2" circle and adhere the rosette to the circle with hot glue to hold it's shape. On the front of the rosette I thought it would be fun to use a saying from the patterned paper, 'Stars and Stripes' was perfect! I used my circle Framelits to die cut it just right. I layered it with another circle in light blue to make it stand out a bit. Add some stitching, twine, and wire! Done! A perfect presentation for a small gift or treats!

Thank you all so much for stopping by the Sizzix blog today! I hope I've inspired you! Happy crafting!



Patterned Paper: Pebbles- Let Freedom Ring collection; K&Co
Wire: Darice 16 gauge wire- dark brown
Twine: May Arts- Burlap String
Misc.: sewing machine; brown thread; wood button; 1/4" dowel rod; red crinkle basket stuffing; adhesive
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous project Tamara - great tutorial and love how you used the scalloped circles to make the folded rosette! Will have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous project Tamara! Love the scalloped circle flower and the fun wand. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Loving the folded paer rosette. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...