Friday, June 15, 2012

Just Saying Hello card featuring Pop `n Cuts

Hi crafty friends! Gretchen here and I am thrilled to share with you that Karen Burniston’s Pop ‘n Cuts system is now available to everyone! I’m sure by now you have figured that out since she’s been sharing some pretty amazing examples on her personal blog and the Sizzix blog, but just in case I wanted to give it a special shout out. I am in love with this easy to use system and I know you’re going to love it too.

 For today’s project, I’m using the base Pop `n Cut tray with the Hello phrase insert and Hello Sizzlit set.

I started my card by using the base die without the phrase insert to die cut my card base out of white cardstock. The base automatically gives my card perfectly rounded corners.

Next I added the Hello Phrase Insert inside the base tray. There are tick marks on the base tray as well as the inserts so all you have to do is place the insert in the tray make sure those marks are lined up.

To die cut my “hello,” I laid a piece of patterned paper down onto the phrase die, making sure the horizontal line of the paper and die where parallel and then ran it through my Big Shot machine.

Tip: Make sure to lay the patterned side down onto the die that you want to show in your finished card.

After your phrase is die cut, just fold on the score lines according to package instructions, and wa-la! You’ve got a hello pop-up that was made in seconds.

My next step was to start cutting the extras I wanted to use to decorate the outside and inside of my card. I used my Sizzix eclips machine and the Edges eclips Cartridge to cut three scallop border strips.

I used the Hello Sizzlit Set to cut several funky flowers, a hello phrase, and two vine flourishes. The Hello Sizzlit phrase is made to fit perfectly into the Hello Phrase Insert, giving it just a bit of a border when fully assembled.

Time to assemble my card front! I folded my card base in half and outlined the front with a black pen. Next, I stamped “just saying” onto white cardstock, mounted it on red patterned paper and laid it down on the front of my card. I placed one vine flourish underneath my saying, overlapping the top of it just a bit; once I decided on the perfectly placement, then I glued it all down. I added one of the scallop border strips I cut with my eclips underneath the saying, three flowers, and some buttons in the center to finish it off.

To give the front a bit more pop (since there will be lots of pop on the inside!), I added a pop-dot underneath the center flower.

Moving to the inside of the card, I outlined the inside card base with a black pen and adhered the hello phrase piece to my card base. I folded the phrase flat, added adhesive to one side and placed it in the center of the card as shown, then pressed it securely in place. Finally, I added adhesive on the opposite side, closed the card, and pressed securely again.

Tip: Make sure to add your adhesive to the outside edges of the phrase, not the phrase itself.

When you open your card back up, everything is lined up perfectly! I added adhesive to my Hello that was cut from the Sizzlit set and secured it to the front of my Hello from the phrase insert. 

Decorating the rest of my card was easy. For the bottom half, I used my scissors to trim the vine flourish to fit as show and glued down one of the scallop borders I previously cut. I added a thin strip of coordinating red patterned paper to break the colors up a bit.

For the top half, I added the final scallop border strip and three more flowers. I did not want the inside of this card to be bulky so I did not add a pop-dot or buttons like I did on the front. I opted for coordinating cardstock and small circles to finish the flowers off.

 When complete, I have a fun card so share with a friend!

One of my favorite things about the Pop `n Cuts system is its ability to be interchangeable. If you didn’t want to say hello, you could easily add a thanks or love. Don’t want a saying? You could use one of the shapes offered or a label and any embellishments you wanted. Be sure to check out all the different options as well as coordinating Sizzlit sets and Movers & Shapers Sets on the Pop `n Cuts page at Sizzix.com.




Patterned Paper: My Mind’s Eye- On The Bright Side 6x6 paper pad
Cardstock: Bazzill
Adhesive: Glue Dots; Tombow MONO Adhesive Permanent, Zig 2-way Glue Pen
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Grand Greetings
Inks: Colorbox Premium Dye Ink Licorice
Other: buttons, hole punch, pop-dot
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Gretchen, you rock the Pop 'n Cuts! I love this card, especially the color combo and your signature outlining! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretchen great card. You write the best tutorials- they make me want to run downstairs and make it all. Can't wait to get my Pop 'n Cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired by your card as well as Karens other ideas...I can hardly wait for those new Sizzix dies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!!!! Love this technique,

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...