Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Gearing Up For Father's Day

Hi all! I hope your week is going well. With Father's Day a week and a half or so away, I thought it would be nice to share a card that uses some of my favorite Sizzix dies and texture fades. At first glance, it might look a little complicated, but it's really not!
 
I recently got the new Embossing Diffusers - they are so fun to play with! If you've been wondering what they're all about, I'll show you how I used them to make this combination of patterns for my card front. Besides a frenzy of gears and metal-looking elements, this card has a special surprise...

It's a pop-up! Karen Burniston is one of my artistic 'idols'. Her pop-up dies take a plain card and elevate it to something special. This card is almost a gift in itself! Check out the tutorial below to see how fun and easy it is to create.

Begin by painting a 4.25" x 5.5" piece of black cardstock with silver paint. Apply it fairly heavily to create a lot of texture. Let dry (I use my heat tool to speed it up).

When cardstock is completely dry, insert it into the Riveted Metal Texture Fade, painted side up. Cover the top with the Embossing Diffuser that has the circle opening, centering the circle. I use painter's tape to hold it in place to ensure it doesn't shift while I'm embossing. Run it through your machine, with the Solo Platform, a cutting pad on the bottom, and the Diffuser on the top. The Diffuser replaces one of the cutting pads you would normally use.

After embossing, remove the paper from the Riveted Metal Texture Fade and insert it into the Diamond Plate folder. This time we'll use the circle Diffuser to emboss the center. The Diffuser allows you to only emboss in that area - the rest of the previous embossing will stay intact. Again, use tape to keep your Diffuser in place and run it through your machine.

Remove the embossed paper and paint with black acrylic paint.

Immediately wipe away the paint, leaving some in the cracks and crevices. Set aside to dry. How cool is that embossed pattern?!

While your metallic panel is drying, cut a clock frame from Grungeboard using the Weathered Clock die. Paint it with a generous coat of Rock Candy Crackle paint. Let dry completely.

When dry, color with Black Soot Distress Stain, making sure you work it into the cracks. Dry with heat tool to set. Set aside.

Now we're going to create our card base. Cut a 5.25" x 11" piece of black cardstock and fold in half, creating a square card. Using the Steampunk On the Edge die, die cut one edge as shown. This will be the front of your card.

Using metallic paint, paint the cut gears, front and back. It doesn't matter if you get paint onto the card, it will be covered up. Let dry, and then antique with black paint, in the same manner as the embossed panel on the front.

Stamp men from Stampers Anonymous Steampunk collection on a manila scrap using black ink. Trim closely and ink edges with brown ink.

Now let's put it all together! First, adhere embossed metal panel to card front using Tape Glider. Next, add painted clock hands and a metal gear to the center, securing with a brad. Attach stamped men to the lower half of clock. Finally, secure a twine-threaded word band to the bottom using a Tiny Attacher and add washers to the corners with brads.

Next, we'll work on our pop-up element! Die cut a number of gears from black cardstock using the Gadget Gears and Mini Gears dies.

Paint one side with various metallic paints. When dry, antique with black paint, the same way the front panel was done.

Die cut the pop-up mechanism from patterned cardstock using the Spinning 3-D die. Fold using the instructions on the package or the video tutorial from Karen Burniston found here.

Open your card and cover the inside with a panel of patterned paper. Referring to the pop-up instructions, adhere the pop-up mechanism to the card.

Finally, add layers of gears to the mechanism, making sure that the card can open and close easily. Computer-generate a sentiment, print it on manila cardstock, and cut using the Small Ticket Movers and Shapers die. Add Idea-ology Alpha Cards to spell out DAD and adhere behind gears. Create a closure (pop-ups can get a little bulky) with a Hinge Clip, Swivel Clasp, Cash Key, and Gear.

One of my favorite things about this card is how it just looks like a mass of gears from the front - I love the layered look from using the Steampunk On the Edge die. Painting the gears to match unifies the front and the center.

Oh my! Imagine the delight of the recipient when they see all those cool gears rising and rotating as the card is opened!

Ta da! How cool is that?! I admit, I am completely smitten with pop-ups at this point. The beauty of this mechanism is that it can be anything you want it to be. It can be cute and hold a bouquet of flowers, you could collage pictures in the center...your imagination is the only thing limiting you!

I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and are inspired to try a pop-up card or two (or three!).

'Til next month,

Shelly



Stamps: Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous CMS 107 Steampunk
Paper: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Destinations; Grungeboard; Black Cardstock; Manila Cardstock
Paint: Ranger Adirondack Dabbers - Gold, Copper, Silver, Black; Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint - Rock Candy
Ink: Ranger Archival - Jet Black; Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Brushed Corduroy, Black Soot; Tim Holtz Distress Stain - Black Soot
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Washers, Sprocket Gears, Game Spinners, Mini Gears, Long Fasteners, Cash Keys, Word Bands, Swivel Clasps, Mini Fasteners, Hinge Clip, Mini Paper Clip, Alpha Cards
Adhesive: Ranger Inkssentials Wonder Tape 1/2", Glossy Accents; Scotch Adhesive Tape Glider; Beacon 3-in-1 Craft Glue
Misc: Ranger Non-Stick Craft Sheet; Idea-ology Tiny Attacher; Twine
Pin It!

36 comments:

  1. Shelly -

    This is such a great card! I love all the texture and shapes. So much fun! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww man! I wanted to be the first comment so it would show up in all the permalinks! Ha! Elaine beat me to it. Shelly, you know I love this card to my Dad and back! It is absolutely amazing. Playing with items that appear to be flat and then move when the card is opened is one of my favorite pop-up techniques and you have done it spectacularly here! Wow! Wowie, wow wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! That is very cool! Thanks very much!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fantastic, love the pop up and all those gears. Wonderful texture and layout. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm blown away with all the gear-y goodness! Thank You for the easy to follow tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is amazing!!! Loving all of that masculine steam punky goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card, Shelly! You must have gears in your mind! LOL!! to come up with such a wonderful idea. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely one of the best cards I've ever seen! Makes my Father's Day Card look blah (http://theartfulmaven.blogspot.com/2012/06/kraft-twine-time.html). Kudos Shelly....you are amazing girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelly, this card is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is over-the-top fantastic!! What guy wouldn't LOVE receiving this? Thank you for the great idea/tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a killer masculine card... love the gears and especially the use of the diffusers... they're magical!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this is fabulous! Love all the details. Thanks for the techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw this card! Absolutely stunning Shelly!!! It does look complicated when you first glance at it but, you make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Shelly...Words can't express how stunning this card is. Thank you for the detailed tut. I love pop-up cards. Soon as I can, I will get that die!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This beauty is one of the most amazing cards I've ever seen. It really is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG!!! I have this die set and love using it. Hope you don't mind but I think I see a CASe coming on this one. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This card is amazing. I want every product used to make a copy. This is OMG way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun card. I never liked die cuts until decided I wanted a Vagabond and I am HOOKED. But I will admit I don't even look at Dies if the yarn's Tim's. Guess I should expand my horizons because this is a super fun and cool card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! I have to make one of these! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This just AWESOME! I can't wait to make these for my Dad and Dad-in-Law

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Shelly, that is some fancy card! Your work is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shelly this is so awesome!!! Hey, you're famous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. waouhhhhhhhhhhhhhh géant
    bravo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Shelly, this card is fantastic. Love the embossing, metallic effects, fabulous pop-up and all those cool gears. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great card! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shelly~ This card is FANTASTIC! Your inspiration has me "geared" up to create a card like this for my husband for Father's Day...although it will have to be a regular pop-up that I know how to construct. Karen's spinning die is now on my wish list...not in the budget now, even on sale~(yes, I went to the Sizzix link you have on your blog)!
    Thank you for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  27. O-M-G!!! How do you think up these wonderful creations, Shelly?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning card. Love the final result. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Holy cow...I've been planning to do a gear card for fathers day for several months, but couldn't wrap my brain around just how I wanted it. This is how I want it! AWESOME CARD!!! You totally rocked this. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks so much for this tutorial, this card is awsome!!!, just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing tutorial! Thank you. I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you Shelley for the awesome inspiration!! My son's birthday is on Father's Day and it made a very special card for him!! Thanks Again!!!
    Betty Mae

    ReplyDelete
  33. A truly stunning card....

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is one awesome tutorial...I might get brave enough to try that !

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just purchased the 3d pop up die yesterday, and have been playing with it today. It is an awesome die, oh the many possibilities. I don't understand why sizzix has clearanced this die. This card had me obsessed with getting this die. My local store person went above and beyond to get this die for me, it was almost impossible for her to get it, but Rebeccah did it especially for me. My head is spinning with all the creative possibilities I can do with this die. Thankyou so very much for this amazing card and the tutorial. I am a steampunk obsessed creator.
    There will be pop up cards popping up for everyone I know and love in the near future, won't they be amazed!
    Jacquelene L.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...