Friday, June 8, 2012

Explore

Hi everyone!  Jan Hobbins here with a layout today, and because summer holidays are almost upon us, I decided on a travel theme!

To start with, using cardstock, I die cut this Sizzix Washer border.

After die cutting it, I decided to try and use it as a stencil first. I placed it on my paper, and sprinkled embossing powder in the open sections.  I carefully lifted off the border and set it aside on a piece of paper.  If you want to make any adjustments to the powder, carefully move the powder with a small paintbrush.  I used my heat gun and heat the embossing powder from underneath so the powder didn’t spray everywhere.  I haven’t tried this with other embossing powders, but I do like this brand (Lindy's Stamp Gang) as it melts very fast from underneath and you can have thicker amounts. In this photo I used the heat gun on one side so you can see the before and after. I dusted off the excess powder on the border and saved it to use after, on my layout.

In the bottom right corner, I also stamped a couple of images (Tim Holtz) with clear embossing ink.  I was going to use this as a type of relief and spray, or ink over the images, but I decided to leave it the way it was for a watermark effect.

I love this new Tim Holtz Vintage Globe Bigz die, it’s perfect for all those travel themes.  I die cut two from my patterned paper (Heidi Swapp's No Limits collection).  The land parts of the globe are cut through except for the edges, so I cut them out and set them aside.  With the leftover globe, I pop dotted areas as in my photo.  With the second cut out globe, I sanded the edges, inked with a lighter color and I placed this on top of the pop dotted one, just to give it some dimension.  Now taking the land parts, sand, ink and pop dot those and place on top of the double globe.

This is what your finished globe looks like.  I love the layered dimensional stickers that different companies sell, and this is so easy to make from your dies, just by cutting out different sections and layering.

Before I started putting together my layout, I made two more elements, the first using the small Sizzix Matchbook die set.  I cut this out of patterned paper and printed six 2 x 3 photos for the inside.  I always seem to take a lot of photos when we are flying, as we are coming in for our landing but never use them all on my layouts. So I thought this way they are all together on my layout and I still have that keepsake.  I just stapled them all together on the bottom flap.  

Because this matchbook has a  wider depth at the top, I added an extra fold so it will lay flatter in my album.  Some of the paper lines have very small printed patterns, or the collection and paper titles on the tabs, which I like using sometimes.  One of my papers had the word, Destinations on it, so I cut that strip and adhered it to the edge of my matchbook bottom flap.

Finally, I embossed one of my pieces of patterned paper with the Riveted Metal texture fade, distressed the edges and inked it.

I cut out different strips of paper, distressed, inked the edges and placed them, along with my embossed piece of paper on my layout horizontally, as in my photo.  One strip was placed vertically.  I then glued the globe down and the matchbook just to the right of it.  

The map scalloped border and the big flower are both “Destination Trimmings” from Heidi Swapp.  These can be melted with your heat gun, as I did with the flower, to make it all curly.  I also added a pennant banner made from Jenni Bowlin stickers and twine, buttons from BoBunny, epoxy "No Limits" word and stars, cut out circles and stars from patterned paper and added a matted photo.

I really think this matchbook set is going to be used a lot.  I love the idea of using it on a layout, whether it's for a collection of photos or journalling.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

Jan

Paper: Heidi Swapp No Limits collection
Embossing Powder: Lindy's Stamp Gang - Terra Cotta
Stamps: Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous
Buttons: BoBunny Snowfall collection 
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Evergreen Bough; clear embossing ink
Stickers: Jenni Bowlin Studio Banner Alpha Stickers- Black
Adhesive: adhesive foam squares
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Jan, what a great lo. The colors and textures are just yummy. The matchbook die is just too cute. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I love the innovative ways that you've used these dies!! Very cool layout - you've shared some great ideas and I'm filing them all away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous layout! Thank you very much!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely. The color combo is delicious. The design elements coordinate so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous Jan! Love the embossing powder technique, very clever and it looks great. stunning design of this layout and the globe looks great. The matchbooks dies are a favourite of mine too, I have already used them on three layouts, perfect for extra photos and journaling. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply gorgeous layout! So much work & so much creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great layout Jan - thanks for all the cool ideas on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this. Just recently purchased the globe die....so glad I did. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your elements have special details and techniques...wow! LOVE the match book idea for a collection of travel photos. Thanks for sharing, Jan ;)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...