Thursday, June 21, 2012

Americana Decor

Hey everyone!  I guess you could call me slightly patriotic, because one of the Holidays I love creating for is the 4th of July and it's right around the corner!  I love red, white and blue and I'm always looking for new ways to decorate my home to show my love for this beautiful country.

I have always wanted a "cone" die, I mean seriously, cones are almost impossible to make without a die, and I can't tell you how many times I've tried, (and failed).  This Pro Cone Die will fast become one of my favorites because of the so many ways it can be used.

You can use it the way I did and fill it with goodies, flip it over and make a cute party hat, (or a witches' hat come Halloween), you can glue 2 cones together to create a small pinata for a childrens' party, or decorate one differently for every holiday.  The ideas are endless!  

For my 4th of July cone,  I used, in addition to the Pro Cone,  the Mini Paper Rosettes die from Tim Holtz, Alterations, and the Primitive Stars die.  In order to use the Pro Cone die, you must use the Sizzix Big Shot Pro Machine, because the die is too big to fit through any other.  I hope you enjoy!

To create your cone, first die cut from cardstock and pattern paper, a cone using the Pro Cone die, distress lightly using Vintage Photo distressing ink.  Adhere pattern paper to cardstock, (this will give it thickness) using a tape runner.  Then roll your cone together securing the, use hot glue to adhere the cone sides together.  Hot glue some eyelet trim and silver tinsel to the top of the cone, then set the cone aside. 

Then die cut from pattern paper, as many paper rosettes you want to use, using the Mini Rosettes Die. Then accordian fold each rosette, finally bring ends around and adhere together using hot glue. 

Cut a small piece of card stock, apply some hot glue to the center and press your rosettes into the glue until it's set, (it only takes a few seconds), then adhere a decorative brad to the center, and set aside.

Die cut from card stock one large primitive star, ink it with Vintage Photo ink, then apply hot glue to the back of an epoxy sticker and press down onto a large rosette.  Finally, adhere the rosette to the center of the star, and adhere the finished embellishment to the center of your cone.

Finally, decorate your cone with rosettes adhering them with hot glue.  For the hanger, I simply punched two holes in the sides, and threaded wire through winding the ends around to secure.  Adhere some red gingham bows and a rusty bell at the bottom.  

You are now ready to stuff your cone with goodies, I used some spanish moss, a couple of vintage mini-flags and a fabric Americana star.  The "how to" for the fabric star can be found here

Well I sincerely hope you enjoyed my project as much as I enjoyed making it, and I hope this inspires you to create your own.


InLinkz.com

paper: patterned paper (shown: Close To My Heart); kraft cardstock
ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Vintage Photo
stickers: K&Co Americana Collection
embellishments: mini flags; decorative brads; tinsel (Melissa Frances); rusty bell; heavy gauge wire; eyelet trim; gingham ribbon; spanish moss
adhesive: hot glue; tape runner
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. So super cute. I too am a patriotic gal and love making cones! Wish there was a smaller cone die for the big shot. I make mine from a pattern that I hand cut out. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely totally in LOVE with this project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and I have a friend in mind to make one too

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...