Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mega Grandmother's Garden Quilt

After Tammy referred to me as the resident quilting expert in her April design team round up, I decided that I had better do some quilting this month!  I'm naming this quilt a Mega Grandmother's Garden Quilt because it was inspired by the English Paper Pieced Grandmother's Garden Hexagon quilts.  In this case, each hexagon is made up of 6 triangles and the resulting flowers are huge.

I used the Sizzix Bigz L Clear Die - Triangles. Isosceles & Right 4 1/2" H Finished Die.  The die cuts complete triangles as well as the half triangles that you need along the outer edges of the quilt top.

Here is the layout for the quilt.  As you can see, if you choose to go with solids, you could have a much more bold and defined look. I chose to go scrappy.  For this baby/lap size quilt (mine measured 39 1/2" x 53 1/2" after washing and drying) you will need to cut the following:

Aqua:  10 triangles, 5 half triangles
Red:  42 triangles, 7 half triangles
Pink:  48 triangles, 4 half triangles
Green:  53 triangles, 4 half triangles
Yellow:  40 triangles, 4 half triangles
Orange:  47 triangles, 4 half triangles

In order to draw the diagram above, I needed to draw a block that I could repeat which resulted in some of the triangles appearing to be divided in half (made of two half triangles).  Ignore that and cut whole triangles, only using the half triangles at the edges.

After die cutting all of your pieces, it is necessary to lay them all out so that you can evenly distribute the prints.

As you can see, the die cuts perfect triangles with the corners cut at an angle.

When  you have your layout done, you begin sewing in the upper right hand corner a row at a time.  you can line up the notched corners as shown above, and then stitch your 1/4" seam.  After each seam, I pressed to the right and then sewed the next triangle.

This is what my seams looked like from the back.  Attach completed rows to each other with 1/4" seams, being careful to match your points.

To finish, I quilted with petal shaped curved lines along the diagonal.  I used the strip cutting die to prepare my binding.

It can be tricky sewing triangles with stretchy bias cut edges but the notched corners really helped.  In fact, my piecing was coming out so perfectly thanks to the Sizzix dies, that I threw in a humility block in the bottom right.  Do you see that aqua half triangle?  Yup, it should be pink.  Sigh.  I didn't notice it till I was creating the cutting diagram, after the quilt was complete.

I hope that you will make your own Mega Grandmother's Garden Quilt!  It's a great stash/scrap buster.  The size is also perfect in terms of easy backings.  You can use the full width of the fabric for the width of the quilt, by just under two yards in length.  Easy!

Amy

additional supplies: 1 3/4 yard backing material 1/2 yard binding material assorted scraps in color family groups for the flowers (see cutting diagram)
Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Amy, this is incredible!! I can't imagine how much work went into this...I am speechless. What an incredible piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fabulous! I haven't used my Big Shot for quilting yet! It won't let go of my paper long enough to get any fabric in it! Love your quilt! Thanks very much!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be still my heart! This is a gorgeous quilt! Love the colors, pattern, everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amy! Love the quilt. The colors are beautiful. It looks so easy using the die cut to cut the fabric. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!! I really love the die cut as it takes off the points and makes it so much easier to piece! This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old fashion quilts...they remind me of my grandmothers living room; she used to have a quilting bee once a week. I envy people who can sew...I don't have the patience for it. This particular quilt is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this is stunning. You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! I've been really wanting to do some quilting with these, but struggle to come up with designs. Since the sizes of the dies "are what they are", I am just stumped!

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the dies work well together to make traditional blocks. There is a 2 1/2" finished HST unit that could fit with the 2 1/2" unfinished square to make so many different block designs. I will be making more pillows, etc. in upcoming months to show how they can be used!

      Delete
    2. Great! I look forward to it! I don't think I'm experienced enough and am used to following patterns!
      Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Another thing you might try is cutting a bunch of shapes from your dies using cheap construction paper and fiddling around with layouts. It's better than cutting into expensive fabric and finding out that something doesn't work. That way you can arrive at your own layouts.

      Delete
  9. Ionly use my sizzix for papercutting. Ive hooked up on sizzix on facebook, and thats how i came to see u quilt....i love the colours. Maybe i should think a bit out of the box, with the big shot ive got:) greetings from styrixine denmark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is amazing Amy! The quilt has such a wonderful cheerful feeling to it. Love the different patterns and colours you used. TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! Just love it.
    greetings from Holland!
    with love,
    Ineke

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh gorgeous. The layout of colors is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, my jaw is on the floor! This is a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started making the quilt! Is the Auqa count correct? Ten seems too few. Just wondering. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My top is done! Great directions, only issue I had was the Aqua count should be 49.

      Thanks for the tutorial!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...