Monday, May 14, 2012

Imagination Canvas

Hey everyone, it's Ronda today showing you my Imagination canvas using texture fades and Umbrella Man. 

Every time I see this die I can't help but thinking of him standing out in the rain.  But what if those raindrops are letters becoming words expressing all those thoughts of a creative life.  Umbrella man really sparked my imagination.

I started with a 5 x 7 canvas panel spreading a relatively thin layer of gesso with a palette knife.  I knew I wanted it kind of rough with high and low parts.  I scrapped the knife over and over until I had the texture that was pleasing to me.

While the gesso is still wet, I pushed the brick Texture Fade  into the canvas.  I used the front side with the logo with the raised brick.  I did this a couple places around the canvas to give it some texture.  I immediately cleaned my texture fade with water so it wouldn't compromise the fade.

I love texture so much I just had to grab the bubble Texture Fade, this time using the backside.  Again I immediately cleaned it off with just water.

While the gesso was drying, I tore bits and pieces of old book text to go onto the canvas.  I used matte medium to adhere the pieces around the canvas and used a brayer to smooth the pieces down.  The brayer squeezes out excess glue and gives it such a nice flat smooth surface.

Time to insert Umbrella Man.  I wasn't sure what direction i was going to take him on the canvas so I die-cut three, two in black and one in kraft.  Of course I saved those negative pieces to use at a later date as a stencil.

I decided to layer the Umbella man to give him some more dimension.  I cut off an umbrella and gave it some texture using the gridlock texture fade.  I trimmed the umbrella down even further to just the top and set it aside for later.

The canvas ready for color and so was I.  I added in some layers of paint wanting to use tans, aquas, orange, and yellows so the black Umbrella man would really pop.  I uses a mixture of paint and spray ink, heat setting between layers.

Now that I had color on the background, it was time to add in the falling letters and words.  It was so fun much to pick out the words to surround the umbrella.  I stamped the big words first and then filled in with the individual letters and smaller words.    I popped up the second umbrella top and added it to Umbrella man.

I wanted a bit more texture around the canvas so i grabbed this awesome grungy grid stamp.  I inked it in various places so there was a randomness to the stamped image.  Instead of putting the stamp on a block, i rolled it on the canvas.

I had this perfect area on the right of Umbrella man for a quote and knew just what I wanted to put there.  I think this stamp by Wendy Vecchi really captured the sentiment of my canvas.  The last thing i did was ink around the canvas using Vintage photo and Walnut stain distress inks.

Oh that texture on the umbrella makes me giddy!  You can see the 3-dimension of the piece.  I sanded a bit of the cardstock to see the white core.

The touches of blue and orange dripping down towards the umbrella are so very cool.  I love  how the words cascade around the umbrella.  I did pick specific words to fall around it.

I adore how Umbrella man sometimes is looking at you and sometimes away from you.  I really love the sentiment of the stamp with this canvas.  The little bits of grid and color peeking behind the phrase really emphasizes the statement.


Pin It!

28 comments:

  1. This is really wonderful! Thank you so much!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The letters and words raining down is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning!! I just love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! Love the word and letter rain and the background is gorgeous. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...stunning inky work... loVe the effect with the embossing folders & a fabby idea with his umbrella...a great step-by-step, I've learnt so much from this posting...thanks for sharing Ronda...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous tutorial and even more fabulous work Rhonda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, Beautiful job
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so many really clever steps were used here, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous, stunning and awesome!!!! Love this canvas.it makes me want to step out of the box and try something so new. What a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...this is awesome! Way out of my comfort zone, but your instructions are so clear....I may have to try it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How creative! I'm green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My next trip to Michaels is going to include a purchase of canvas. I am so greatly inspired to try this. Your work is stunning. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg I LOVE this - SOOOOO cool! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So creative, Ronda! LOVE the raining words and your fabulous use of color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this creative canvas . . . I love umbrellas and this is a great use of one with words/letters as "rain" . . . so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the umbrella man and you have made me love him even more! I really have to give this project a try. Thank you for great tutorial. I've laready pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ronda what an awesome piece !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool! Thanks for the new tip - texture fades pressed into gesso! love that concept of letters falling into words! Creative.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my giddy aunt! This is such a beautifully uplifting project. Talk about an inspiration! Just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks a lot for this opportunity to know this information. I am happy to find worth reading article.

    http://lifecanvas.sg

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...