Friday, May 4, 2012

Honeycomb and Hexagon Decor

Hi everyone, its Jan Hobbins here with today's post.  I decided to scrapbook a wood panel, using some of my favorite new elements, honeycombs and hexagons.  You have probably noticed hexagons everywhere lately; on patterned papers, stamps, and stencils, but did you know that Sizzix has hexagon dies?  This one that I used is the 2"(corner to corner) size and is, to my surprise the exact size of the hexagons in the paper I used.  This collection is from My Mind's Eye and is called, "Follow Your Heart, Be Amazing".  Once you start cutting out these hexagons in different mediums, you can't stop!  I used wood veneer, cardstock, paper, chipboard, and plastic.

First off, I took my wood panel, which is 11" x 14"x 1 1/2" thick, and stained it with Antique Linen Distress Stain.  It gave it a slightly yellow look and the wood grain still showed through.  Next, I took my "Wander" patterned paper and cut out a 6" square from the bottom right hand corner.  I will explain why later.

Using the Sizzix Tim Holtz Honeycomb Texture Fade and the Embossing Diffuser Set, I embossed the left side of my paper.  I am in love with these diffusers!  There are three rectangle plates with a different shapes cut out of each and the matching shapes.  When you use either the plate or the shape instead of one of your regular cutting plates in your sandwich for embossing, the only place that is embossed is where that plate is.  I taped the oval to the edge of my honeycomb texture fade and embossed the oval shape on the left side of my paper.  In order to run it through my machine, I first die-cut some hexagons at the end and inside of my paper to make it a bit narrower.  I used a chipboard hexagon template that I had cut out.  I left spaces between some of them as you can see in my photos.

I very carefully ran it through my Vagabond as far as I could before I got to the wider section of my paper.  Hmm, maybe I should put the Big Shot Pro machine on my wish list, then I wouldn't have any problem with big sheets of paper!  I lightly inked the embossed honeycomb with Scattered Straw Distress Ink.  

Next, I die-cut hexagons from some wood veneer that I had in my stash from Creative Imaginations, and plastic.  I embossed sections of these with the small oval from the Diffuser set and with the Sizzix Paisley Palooza Textured Impressions folder.

Before I die-cut the hexagons from white cardstock, I embossed my paper with the Sizzix Paisley Palooza folder.  To get the two toned embossed look, I first inked one side of my embossing folder with ink (archival works best), then inserted my paper, embossed, and then inked another color after it was embossed.

Adhere a 4 x 6 acrylic sheet (from My Mind's Eye) in the bottom left corner, cutting the edge to match the hexagon shapes.

When I glued my hexagon shapes, I backed some of them with the cut out chipboard, so they are different heights, on my canvas.  I left some hexagon cut out areas open to show the wood underneath.  
Lastly, I added my photos and some chipboard elements from the same collection.

Mother's Day is coming up, something like this would be a great gift.  I made this wood panel as a gift for my brother-in-law.  His wife is in the last stages of Alzheimer's and I wanted to do something for him with photos I had taken a few years ago.  Sue did competitive orienteering, hiked, cycled, and they travelled extensively before she was diagnosed 8 years ago at the age of 37.  These quotes from this collection have a lot of meaning to this panel.  Hope he likes it!

Jan

Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. Jan -

    This is such a beautiful piece of art. I love how it turned out. Your brother will love this. I am so sorry to hear about what he and his wife are going through. My prayers for them to help ease their hardship.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing piece! I love the details on each of the hexagons and how the wood grain shows through the plastic ones. Your brother in law will love it. Thanks for showing how you managed to get the lovely hexagon embossing on the side. Those plates really are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness. I quickly went from feeling excited to learn that you could cut wood veneer (I had been wondering)...to crying. What a touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Didn't know you could get Alzheimer's that young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool project, loving the hexagons and love it even more for its purpose, im sure he will love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful project Jan and a very touching story. Love your hexagons, the embossing and all the different materials you used. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so good! Thanks for sharing. Some really great techniques there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful and very touching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous! Love all the hexes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome layout! I love all of the texture and dimensions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fantastic project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything about you project is soooooooooooo interesting!!!! Love it!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great layout! Love the honeycomb patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous layout and thank you for the tutorial! I love scrap-lifting ideas! My heart goes out to your sister-in-law and all those touched by this devastating illness.
    Sincerely,
    Brenda Savage

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...