Friday, April 13, 2012

Recycled Cardboard Boxes





Last week I received some interesting little cardboard boxes with some fabric marking pens and alcohol inks I ordered. Although not sturdy enough to use to ship small gifts and objects through the mail, I immediately noticed that they would be perfect for presenting small gifts such as gift cards, small teacher appreciation gifts, even a bracelet created from die cuts I plan to present my Mom for Mother's Day. It seems I am always looking for creative packaging, and what better way to present something special INSIDE something special, right?

Recycled boxes
Armed with my Big Shot die cutting machine, my favorite framed die and a 3 dimensional flower die, I created a stash of boxes for treats that I hoping will take me right through Mother's Day, Spring Birthdays, Teachers Gifts and Spring Hostess gifts.

Corrugated cardboard
To start, tear away outer layer of one panel of a shipping box and peel back to reveal the corrugated center.

Bigshot and die
Using the Big Shot machine, die cut several (of how ever many boxes you will be using) frames from the cardboard. 

Boxes with openings
Cut a 2 1/2" opening from the center of each frame using small sharp scissors.Do the same for the front of the boxes.

Painted frames
Now it is time to paint. Paint the corrugated frames and boxes Turquoise and White. When the boxes are dry, use the paint black and a small round paint brush to lightly dry brush the edges and some of the surface.

Creating 3 d flowers
While the paint is drying, assemble the flowers.

Die cut the 3 d flowers from the wool felt. I cut three pieces per box. In addition to the cut die, you will need a skewer or pencil and some fabric glue to assemble each flower, plus whatever pretty embellishment you want for the center.

I like to use a pencil in lieu of a skewer. I results in a slightly fluffier flower and is a little easier for me to use. Refer to the package insert for instructions on forming your flowers.

Embellished box
Once the paint is dry, you can start the super fun of creating your boxes.

Note that the inside of the box was not completely painted. This is OK because you will almost be completely filling the box.

Embellishments
I used a cut up reproduction bingo card and some fabric tape as additional embellishments for my boxes for a vintage look.

Embellished boxes
I let the boxes lie flat while the glue sets.

Completed box 3
Shredded kraft paper, which can be purchased very in expensively, makes a great filler. I did cover the inside opening with a small transparency square to fully contain the contents.

I hope you find a use for these charming boxes. With Earth Day right around the corner on April 22nd, its a great way to rescue some throw away objects and use your Sizzix products to embellish them.

Live Life Creatively,

Melony

Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. LOVE these!!! Cardboard is one of my favorite things and your dies cut them like butter! You are going to make some Moms real happy with these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet i woulnt have ever thought to make these ...very nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! They are super adorable. Since I don't have that 3-d flower die, I better get my shoes on and get to shopping for it!!! ...Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea and great way to use these boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project Melony! So creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those. They're very beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this idea - i've been collecting my corrugate and now you've inspired me to get my hands dirty and do something with it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are soooooooo creative. awesome little boxes embellished so pretty!
    tfs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are great - what a great recycling project too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea and awesome tutorial Melony!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great tutorial. But if I may suggest, you should try doing some box files for your cardboard. It would definitely be great.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...