Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fluffy Bird, Spring Ornament

 
I love making ornaments! Anyone who knows me, will tell you just that. They are super fun to create, you can make them to fit any Holiday or theme and you can display them anywhere in your home, all year round. 

When I saw this adorable Fluffy Bird die, I knew I had to have it, and I knew I was going to create an ornament with it. Below, I have included some step-by-step instructions to help guide you in making your own. I hope you enjoy!

To create my fluffy bird ornament, I used the Sizzix Big Shot, Sizzix Fluffy Bird and Tiny Tabs / Tags.  I used Moda Bonnie & Camille Vintage Modern fabric as well as coordinating wool felt.

Starting with the fluffy bird die and your Sizzix Big Shot, fold fabric in half, with right sides together and die-cut. This will make two sides. Fold felt in half as well, placing the crease end of the felt at the end of the "wing."  Die-cut using your Big Shot (a Vagabond will also work).  When the wing is cut you will be able to unfold it and have 1 complete "wing". Repeat this step, so you have two "wings".

With right sides together, pin the body of the bird and sew around the body leaving an opening at the bottom.

When you're finished sewing, turn the body right side out and stuff using poly fiberfill.  Use a skewer to push the fiberfill into the corners. When finished stuffing, hand stitch the bottom of the bird closed, and set aside.

For the wings, place both wings together, and using 3 strands of floss, stitch a blanket stitch around the wings leaving a small opening.  Lightly stuff the wings with fiberfill.  Finish your blanket stitch all the way around.

Now your bird is complete. All that's left to do is embellish. Referring to the finished photos above, I created two "legs" from wire and adhered them to the bird using Fabri-Tac glue. While waiting for the legs to dry, apply a rub on to a small circular tag, die-cut from the Tiny Tabs & Tags die, which has been stained with walnut ink.  Wrap gingham ribbon around the tops of the legs, slip the tag and a rusty bell through the ribbon and tie closed, then secure also with a safety pin, to assure that the ribbon won't slip.

For the wings, I threaded a piece of bakers twine through the wings, tied it in a knot underneath, then glued the wings to the body using Fabri-Tac glue. To finish, sew mini buttons to the head for the eyes. Voila!! Your fluffy bird ornament is finished and you can sit back and admire what you've just created!

I hope this inspires you to create your own!


InLinkz.com
misc. supplies: ribbon, twine, safety pin, buttons, natural wrapped wire, rusty bell, thread, and sewing machine. 
Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Fabulous tutorial Hilary! I love the spring bird ornament you created. Those legs are adorable. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial and I love your cute chickie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too Cute!! What does the verse say on the little tags? I can't make all of it out. This is be an adorable attachment to my yarn wreaths!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable, Hilary!! I can imagine it with so many different fabrics, etc. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I created an artificial Daisy plant using last season's Basil skeleton. Turned out fantabulous. He will look too cute made from outdoor fabrics, purchased from JoAnn Fabric and Craft Store where I work. Then I will strategically place him and a spring CricutMachine tag regarding Springs arrival in the pot along side my colorful new plant. Tux for the great tutorial. I love, love, love this blog. Always gives me bright ideas. So many creative, friendly crafters. Andi in Kearns

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so going to make this I made xmas decorations last year and this looks so much easier using the bigshot...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great Hilary!!! So spring time too. An easy project to do in an afternoon. I love it!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilary, I love your bird! Thanks for the great tutorial and for showing a great project using my "fluffy bird" die!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilary, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful bird project with all of us. It really is adorable.
    Iris

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...