Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Altered Watercolor Journal


I collect art journals and sketch books like I collect scarves.  I really don't need another one but I would it be just so perfect on my shelf.  This particular one has a beautiful watercolor pages on the interior that I just love but the outside is just kind of, well, plain.  They say you can't judge a book by it's cover, that it's what is on the inside that counts.  While I totally agree that beauty can be found in the deep layers there's no reason it shouldn't be seeping out onto the cover inviting you to take a peek at the inside.  

You can see the watercolor journal was just a blank black cover.  I decided to cover it with some foil.  If you don't know by now, I am your texture and color girl.  Bring it on full force.  This plain silver piece was begging me for color and texture and i had just the plan for it.

I encourage you to find your passion for color and play around with it.  I started off with a few drips of alcohol ink here and there.  It needed a bit more of a punch so I threw in some purple for that wow factor.  After coloring my foil sheet, I used the Tim Holtz Patchwork Texture Fade.  I love this piece because of the eclectic feel.  It can be vintage & modern at the same time. Each square is it's own work of art coming together harmoniously.  

Sand the piece a bit to really make those impressions stand out.  You can sand a little or a lot depending on your taste.  I sanded a lot so that the color was contained in the squares. Peel off the back of the foil and adhere to the cover.  Trim off the excess pieces.  If you are like me, stick them back on paper and save for another project. 

I could stop right there and it would look beautiful but I wanted more layers.  I grabbed the oval frame from the decorative frame sets and cut a piece from watercolor paper.

I painted my oval with spray ink and then had an idea to put a word into the oval.  I like the word artist but it wasn't going to fit.  I could mask off the word "Art" and it totally goes with my theme.

More layers & more textures.  I love those wings and thought they would look great with a little more texture.  I went digging through my Texture Fades and Textured Impressions and came up with the Tim Holtz Dot Matrix Fade. Yummy!

Here's the cool thing when you have small pieces like the above wings.  You can position them any where you want in the fades.  I like that the dots are all different sizes and wanted to highlight that on these wings.

I added a little more color on the wings and outlined them with a black pen.  The oval needed a bit of trim.  Perfect.  Now the beauty of this watercolor journal is on the inside and outside.  I love the texture and pops of color.







Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhh I love this! The colors are so vibrant and the pattern is one of my favorites! Normally I just cover my journals with patterned papers..I can't wait to try this technique out, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, I love the stamps and colors used, a greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I love the look of embossed and inked foil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mix of colors mix the embossing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful! I love all the details you added to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ronda!!! WOWZERS!!! You did such an uber great job!! I love the color---the embossing, the die cut, the watercolors--seriously---love it:) I agree that it is wonderful to see a glimpse of the inside beauty on the outside cover:) It makes it more special and inviting!! :) Thank you for sharing and for allowing me to glean from you!! be blessed
    ~Beyond Measure
    tammy
    www.urebeyondmeasure.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally creative and beautiful, i am new with Sizzix but start to love it. Feel free to visit my blog too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Rhonda! I love that embossing folder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea for an art journal! It is gorgeous! Thanx so much for sharing and for the inspiration :)

    KimMJ
    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my. I love this. I have a ton of journals as well and decorate my covers, but this is spectacular. Definitely will try this.
    Thanks.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo artistic, love the colors and textures here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool! Just another reason to have some of that metal foil tape around at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ronda -

    What a fabulous idea! This turned out beautifully! I have got to give this a try. Imagine, now I can make a journal that reflects me inside and out! Thanks for all the instructions.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just beautiful!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! Loved the layering and depth you achieved with just a few steps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How completely Yummy! Love Love Love the layers & texture and most importantly the splashes of color! Totally invites you to Open up and go further! (in all senses of the phrase!)
    Thank you for sharing!
    Roxanne ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that look. Great tutorial. Johanne L.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it but I need to know will sizzix dies work in cuttlebug? thanks for the inspration

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...