Friday, March 30, 2012

Spring Crown

One of my favorite things to do with Sizzix dies is use them in unexpected ways. Simply by cutting from different materials, layering different dies and embellishments,  and adding surface treatments, you can create something unique and personal.

Tim Holtz On the Edge dies are some of my favorites. Here, I've used the Scrollwork die to create the base for a spring crown. I cut multiple strips from chipboard, then embossed them with silver embossing powder and Ultra Thick Embossing Powder. They are joined together with brads to form a crown. Now, the fun begins - embellishing!

Rosettes were created with the Mini Paper Rosettes die and added to the outside of the crown. The inside was lined with crepe paper to give the crown a 'full' look. Next, flowers were cut from polyester lining fabric using the Tattered Florals die. Heating them lightly with a heat tool causes them to shrink and ruffle - I love using this technique! They were then layered, attached to a wire and adhered to the inside of the crown.

The butterflies were cut from paper - French text and plain, lightweight paper - using the Mini Butterflies Magnetic Movers and Shapers dies. A bit of ink and glitter were added and then they were attached to a wire and adhered to the crown. The flourishes were cut from chipboard using the Elegant Flourishes die, given a coating of glitter, and then attached.

I hope you enjoy this bit of spring whimsy. I think it would make a lovely gift for Mother's Day or a special birthday!

Shelly


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. This would be perfect for a little Princess Birthday Party, make one for each little girl and they'd be so happy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful I want to wear it - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so pretty and feminine, Shelly. Love how you used the different dies and made them all work together. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's that soft and feminine side of you bursting out! So completely different from the steampunk-you that I usually see :) And both sides are sensational! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your crown! Such beautiful details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a delightful project. I wish I had the On the Edge Scrollwork die in my possession right now. My granddaughter's birthday party is tomorrow, and it would be such a fun addition to her gifts. Since I have five more granddaughters, I know it is going to be making an appearance in the near future. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Shelly, that is gorgeous. I think I'll try to make one for my granddaughter's birthday. She'll be 3 and would absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelly -

    What a glorious crown! This is just stunning, a lovely piece of art!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to make this for my Mother for Mother's Day! Thanks so much for the inspiration. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...