Monday, February 13, 2012

You Are Just My Type

Today I wanted to share with a fun card I made with the new Vintage Typewriter Bigz Die from the Tim Holtz Alterations collection. 
The base of my card is a pre-made white card.  I sanded and inked the edges of a piece of Tim Holtz Distress Core'dinations Cardstock that I cut slightly smaller than the card front.
I cut the typewriter from Tim Hotlz Grungeboard.  I set the removable elements to the side and colored the typewriter with Black Soot Distress Stain.  After drying the Distress Stain with my heat tool, I sanded the edges with a sanding block.  I used a metal file to add a sanded edge to the small inside detail cuts on the typewriter.  I used a white opaque pen to add some light accents to the detail lines where I sanded.
I used a gold paint dabber to apply paint to the emblem piece.  After the paint was dry, I used alphabet stamps to add to initials to the emblem.  I have a vintage Royal Signet typewriter in my studio so I chose RS in honor of my treasured typewriter.  I added Glossy Accents over the emblem and sat it aside to dry.  Once it was dry I popped it back into place on the typewriter die cut.
I used a silver paint add color to the remaining two pieces, the space bar and the type arm area.  I also added silver paint to the lever area of the typewriter.
I cut a scrap of manila cardstock to fit inside the opening of the typewriter.  I added color to the paper with Antique Linen Distress Stain.  I typed a message on it with my vintage typewriter, inked the edges of the paper with Walnut Stain Distress Ink and slipped it into the slit in the die cut.
I adhered a scrap of white cardstock to the back of my typewriter where the keys are.  I then filled each of the key openings with Glossy Accents.  After the Glossy Accents was dry, I adhered the finished typewriter to the front of my card .

Pin It!

18 comments:

  1. So typ'n cool!!! I love all your little details, and the fact that you used your real vintage typewriter to type the letters is beyond cool! I keep looking on ebay for the Royal I want but nothing yet. This is my favorite die of the new releases!!! I can't wait until mine arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I officially congratulate you Tammy on your new creative adventure with Sizzix. I look forward to all the wonderful creations you have in store for us. This typewriter is just the beginning of many fabulous projects and inspiration, I'm certain. I love it, and especially love how you tied in your old Royal typewriter through the emblem and the typed words. So very clever! Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this die and can't wait to get it so I can try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy you are so creative taking an element like this die beyond the "type-ical". Always love what you create. Cannot wait for this die to be available to us peons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is what makes you very special!!
    a beautiful card ... perfectly distress and vintage!
    can't wait to get my hands on this release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy -

    Just fabulous! This is such a different looking card and I love it! Great job on it!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! Love the textured look of the typewriter and all the little details. Thanx for sharing and thanx for the inspiration!

    KimMJ
    bast830@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is one of the unique ones I've seen. And it looks very good too. I love the vintage effect of it and made me want to make one now. Thanks for sharing this great card Tammy!

    From:
    Creative Photo Albums

    http://yourscrapbookingandcraftsguide.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy, this is just the cutest card, and one that I want to replicate to send to a really dear friend. Both my husband I worked with him for many years and he retired before we transfered to Southern California. But we stay in touch thru letters several times a year. I always use the computer to generate my letter but Bill uses his old manual typewritter to type out his. He even mentioned in his last letter that he has been having trouble finding typwritter ribbon for it because it is that old. This reminded me of him so much and I thought how appropriate it would be to send this card to him with my next letter tucked inside. How absolutely adorable and I think he will definitely get a big kick out of it. So thanks for sharing.
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can not wait to get that die--this is going on Pinterest!!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely darling!!! Love it Tammy.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...