Thursday, September 2, 2010

I'm in the mood for ... fleece

{January 10, 2010}


by Eileen Hull

Is anyone else cold? I have been shivering for the last month or so! When I came down to my (frigid) studio tonight to make this project, I remembered I had picked up some pretty fleece remnants at Wal-Mart a while ago. One of my good friends, who happens to be a beautiful seamstress, has a birthday is coming up next month, so I decided to make a pincushion for her using fleece flowers.

The base of the pincushion was made using the Sizzix ScoreBoards Cupcake Holder, Ruffle, which I cut from pink mat board. Someone told me the other day that they used Nerf balls when they made pincushions, which I thought was a great idea. Of course, you can never find one one when you need it, so I used a 3" Styrofoam ball instead. Fleece was wrapped around half of the ball and secured in place with pins. The fabric tends to bunch, so you'll have to ease it in around the sides. An old zipper was cut apart and wound around the middle for texture and fun. I cut tiny flowers from the fleece on the Big Shot using the Flower, Build a Lilac die, but any small flower die you have on hand will work too. Arrange flowers randomly on the top of the pincushion, securing in place with pins. The ball was secured to the base with a glue gun.

The tag was made from a scrap piece of mat board cut into a small rectangle. The birthday candle (part of the cupcake ruffle die) was adhered to the tag, and the message "for you" was written in white. A tiny hole was punched in the corner of the tag and anchored to the pincushion using a decorative pin.

The soft pastels remind me that spring is around the corner. Until then, I will be crafting in several layers of fleece.

From my (chilly) studio to yours,

Eileen

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...