Thursday, September 2, 2010

A breath of spring

{February 21, 2010}


by Eileen Hull

I don't know about you, but I love watching the Olympics! So much so, that I was reluctant to leave the comfort of my family room (and new TV) to head down to the studio to create a project for this blog last night. So I opted for a project that was "couch-friendly." I remembered I had scored some new scrapbook papers from Scrappy Cat, Kim Roberto, at CHA. The crisp yellow, green and white stripe paper was one of my favorites and I decided to create a box to match. I ran downstairs at a commercial, die-cut a box and grabbed my Copic markers and liner pen.

The ScoreBoards die I used for this project was the Box w/Flap. This box may be used to hold ATCs, playing cards, crayons, gift cards and tons of other small items. I cut the box from white matboard and then sketched out lightly in pencil a basic outline of a flower and leaves. I went over the lines with a fine-tip permanent marker. First I drew the central image and then added in leaves and smaller flower. I realized the flap would cover a good part of the flower, so I matched the design on the flap to the box. It's not perfect, but it works!

After erasing the lines, I started coloring in the flowers and leaves with Copic markers in shades of greens and yellows. You could also stamp a flower image with Staz-On and color that the same way. But come on, be adventurous and try something new! You can always paint over it or cover the box with paper. This was really a fun exercise and a great quick way to showcase a small piece of your art. This could be used as a gift box and the art may be easily customized to fit the event or occasion.

For this project, I decided to line the box with Scrappy Cat's paper. You will need to trim a tiny bit at each fold because the paper will buckle and shift, especially if you are using cardstock. There's too much bulk there for everything to lay flat. Cut off enough paper so that when you glue it back on, there is a little bit of white showing between sections. But BEFORE you put the paper on, you will need to adhere the magnet to the box flap. Apply double-sided tape to the wrong side of the flap magnet and to the right side of the other magnet. This will go inside the box and line up with the flap magnet. Adjust the positioning of the magnets until the box closes neatly. Now tape or glue the paper on the box flap.

Sizzix Products used:

Other products used:

  • Papers by Scrappy Cat (Darice)
  • Copic markers
  • Magnets (BasicGrey)
  • Brads
  • Double-sided tape
  • Stamp ink – turquoise, aqua
  • Sponge
  • Glue pen
  • Fine yellow glitter

After outlining, coloring and blending the flowers and leaves, I added a background. Using a sponge, I lightly tapped on dye-based inks to softly color in the background. To assemble the box, I added some doubled-sided tape down the sides of the flap and two brads for decoration. I thought I was done but could not resist adding a line of fine glitter around the edges of the petals just for a little sparkle. I'm not sure yet what I will put in this box, but just looking at it reminds me that spring and the new life it brings is just around the corner!

Check out my blog this week for another version of this project!

From my couch/studio to yours,

Eileen

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...