Thursday, September 2, 2010

Believe Pop-up Christmas Album

December 21, 2009


by Karen Burniston

Happy Holidays! I'm Karen Burniston, a Sizzix Licensed Artist and the designer of the pop-up dies. In honor of Christmas week, I thought I'd show off six of the pop-up dies in one holiday-themed album. I'll add photos to the album after Christmas, but in the meantime, let's take a look at the pop-up dies in action!

I started with a Bo Bunny chipboard "Believe" word album. The album is intended to be bound with rings, but pop-ups don't work well in "sloshy" bindings, so instead of using rings, I bound each page to the next one using folded paper cards. Each "card" has three close parallel folds, creating a thick card that gives the pop-ups some breathing room. Each page stays closed with hook/loop fasteners, and the finished album is over 2 inches thick and stands up beautifully for display.

As each letter is turned, a pop-up is revealed. The first couple of cards are small, so I had to do some modifications to the pop-ups to make them fit. In the first card, I used the Pop-Up Cake die but used only two tiers instead of three so it would be small enough to fit. The Bigz Circle, Scallop die works great as a cake plate. For the patterned paper side tiers, I first ran them through a crimper, which helps to disguise the side folds that are necessary for the cake to fold flat. Some candy cane confetti and a metal snowflake charm complete this sweet holiday treat!

The next letter reveals a pop-up ornament that is actually made using the bottom half of the Pop-Up Snowman die. Before assembling the ornament, I first embossed the pieces using the Dots Textured Impressions folder. A glittery silver top and wire/bead hanger complete the ornament, and for fun, I added a sprig of artificial evergreen. (I'm sure nobody will notice that bare spot on my staircase garland!)

I had a lot of fun creating the gingerbread house for the next card. I started with the Pop-Up House die and cut an extra set of roof panels to emboss with the Argyle Textured Impressions folder for that traditional roof design. Brenda Pinnick's Candy Sizzlits Decorative Strip was perfect for peppermints. I strung some gingerbread man confetti on wire and even dressed one as Santa and attached him to the chimney!

Sizzix steel-rule dies can cut so much more than paper. For the next pop-up I wanted to use a piece of green burlap for the tree. First I used spray adhesive to add the burlap to a piece of green cardstock, and then I die-cut the pieces for the Pop-Up Christmas Tree. Before assembling, I sewed candy cane confetti to the tree pieces, making sure to avoid the notches and slots that are necessary for putting the tree together. This one went together quickly and easily. If you're not keen on sewing, just use a strong liquid glue that dries clear.

If you've been wanting to get started making pop-ups but aren't sure which die to buy, consider the Pop-Up Spinning Platform die; it is the most generic and versatile of all the pop-up dies. The die creates the platform, which spins any embellishment up into place. It's a great way to present a gift card and can also be decorated with any embellishment in any theme. For this next card I used the Pop-Up Snowflake die as a flat snowflake glued to both sides of the platform. By using textured paper, glitter, fancy brads and confetti on jump rings, I was able to create a snow scene in minutes! The Decorative Accents #2 die adds elegance.

The final pop-up in the album is the Pop-Up Snowman die, this time with his head left on! Instead of using the pop-up carrot nose that is included on the die, I cut a triangle of orange felt and pointed it upward so it would appear that the snowman is watching the snow fall and trying to catch snowflakes. Tiny black pom-poms finish his face, and the Santa hat is visible when the album is closed.

Although there is room on every page to add small photos around the pop-ups, I also wanted a spot to add some larger photos, so the final spread in the album is left pop-up-free and ready for photos.

All of the ideas shown in this album can be used individually, for cards, albums and scrapbook pages, so if you're not ready to dive into an album using six pop-ups, how about an album using one? Just pick your favorite pop-up die and have fun with it! Season's Pop-up Greetings!

Chipboard album (Bo Bunny); Patterned Papers (Fancy Pants, Bo Bunny, Making Memories, Creative Imaginations); Snowball trim (Rusty Pickle)

Pin It!

1 comment:

We'd love to hear from you!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...